Why You Don't Want Wildlife Hanging Around Your Latham Property
August 13, 2021 - Wildlife
While wildlife such as squirrels and raccoons are cute when encountered in the forest or park, the last thing any of us want is rogue wildlife living inside or around our homes. Nuisance wildlife may bring structural damage to your property, and some may even carry dangerous diseases. If you’re worried about bats making a home in your attic, or opossums rooting through your garbage, Absolute Pest Control has your back. With more than 30 years in the business, we look forward to solving your wildlife concerns - the responsible, humane way.
Nuisance Wildlife & The Risks They Carry
One of the perks of upstate New York is the abundant wildlife. However, wildlife is most enjoyable when it’s not threatening your property or health. Typical wildlife that homeowners may encounter in the Latham area include:
- Birds: Bird feces dramatically accelerate the degradation of structures, and may even cause histoplasmosis if inhaled. Birds themselves are notorious for carrying a myriad of dangerous diseases, as well as ectoparasites such as fleas, ticks, lice, and mites.
- Squirrels: While squirrels do not pose significant health risks to humans, their presence in or around the home may lead to significant structural damage. Damage indoors may include air conditioning or heating units or attic insulation, while damage outdoors may include electrical issues.
- Chipmunks: Due to their diet of insects and their ability to pick up ectoparasites, chipmunk bites may bring such diseases as rabies, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, or Colorado tick fever.
- Bats: While a small number of bats have been documented to carry rabies, the more immediate concern bats bring to the home is structural damage due to their feces. Like with pigeons, bat feces may cause histoplasmosis if inhaled.
- Opossums: While not often a rabies carrier, opossums do commonly carry leptospirosis, tularemia, and tuberculosis. Like with many other pests on this list, opossums may also cause structural damage if living indoors, and often carry fleas or mites.
- Skunks: In addition to their spray defense mechanism, skunks are also known to carry rabies.
- Groundhogs/woodchucks: Groundhogs do not pose significant health risk to humans, but are known to frequently burrow in home gardens or crops. Burrowing groundhogs may also damage foundation or underground wires.
Many types of wildlife are aggressive, especially when they feel trapped or cornered. No matter your pest, the safest way to handle wildlife problems is with professional assistance. Enlisting the help of wildlife experts ensures both your and the animal’s best interests are taken care of.
Absolute Pest Control: Latham’s Wildlife Experts
Absolute Pest Control has more than three decades of experience in wildlife removal, and we are committed to resolving your concerns not only effectively, but humanely as well. We are certified by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC).
Absolute Pest Control's wildlife removal services include the following measures:
- Thorough inspection of your property and building’s perimeter
- Animal identification and determination of its entry points
- Setup of cages and live traps
- Daily follow-up services for the following four consecutive days
- Release of trapped animals a minimum of five miles away from your property, but within the county
Protecting Home, Health & Environment
Rest assured, no one is more committed to quality service than Absolute Pest Control. We vow to provide quality humane wildlife removal all while making your home healthier, and safer. No matter your pest concern, Absolute Pest Control will help you feel at home again in no time.
Albany County’s biodiversity is unparalleled, but that doesn’t mean wildlife needs to share a home with you. If you are concerned about wildlife invading your property, or suspect you have an existing problem, call Absolute Pest Control today for your free estimate! We also offer commercial pest control for businesses.