The Best Way To Keep Albany's Mosquitoes Away From Your Home
May 15, 2022 - Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are one of the worst pests to ruin outdoor plans, and for sure, you won't get a good night’s sleep as long as they are around. But what you might not know is that they are also carriers of dangerous diseases like the West Nile virus, with dozens of cases in New York alone each year.
If mosquitoes have taken over your property, it is time to discover the main differences between mosquitoes and flies, learn about problems mosquitoes cause, and what you can do to control an infestation with the help of professional mosquito control. It can be overwhelming to determine how to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard or home. Absolute Pest Control provides pest control in Albany to get rid of these unwanted pests and their painful bites.
Differences Between Mosquitoes & Flies
While both mosquitoes and flies are flying insects that can bite, they are also different in many ways, including the following:
- Mosquitoes extract nutrition thanks to their long, sucking mouthpart called a proboscis. On the other hand, flies render their food into a liquid with the help of their digestive juices first and suck it up after.
- Mosquitoes and flies are generally carriers of different diseases. Mosquitoes usually transmit viruses like the West Nile and Zika virus, while flies carry bacteria like salmonella and other causes of digestive illnesses.
- Flies usually lay eggs in decaying matter, while mosquitoes prefer to lay eggs in stagnant water.
If you are unsure of what caused your infestation, mosquitoes, flies, or even flies that look like mosquitoes, reach out to a pest control professional. Because these pests are different, treatment methods may vary to eliminate them.
Three Problems Mosquitoes Cause
Mosquitoes cause many problems, which is why controlling them early on is so important. Here are three of the main issues with mosquitoes:
- They cause painful and itchy bites, which could degenerate into infections, allergies, and more. If you suffer from many bites or if the symptoms do not go away quickly, contact a medical professional.
- There is an extensive list of diseases caused by mosquitoes that one should avoid as much as possible, including malaria, the Zika virus, dengue fever, and more. One virus carried by mosquitoes, the West Nile virus, affects people every year across the United States. In 2021 alone, the CDC reported 40 cases in New York and one death.
- In some countries, mosquitoes cause losses in the billions of dollars to businesses whose employees are affected by mosquito-borne diseases, including millions in the United States.
Mosquitoes do not just ruin a good night’s sleep and cause itchy bites. They cause more deaths worldwide than any other animal and massive economic losses.
Is There Anything I Can Do To Prevent Mosquitoes?
To get rid of mosquitoes, the following prevention methods can help:
- Do not leave standing water on your property, as it is mosquitoes' breeding ground.
- Clean your gutters regularly, and keep your yard clean of clutter and debris.
- Consider treating ponds and water fixtures or installing aerators to break up the surface tension. A pest control company can help you determine which options are best for you.
- Clean garbage cans regularly, and take out the trash as often as possible.
- Contact a pest control professional who can devise the appropriate treatment plan for your situation.
Treating a mosquito infestation on your own is complex and can potentially be unsafe or at least ineffective. If you are struggling with a mosquito problem, the experts can help.
Benefits Of Professional Mosquito Control
While treating mosquitoes on your own can seem convenient, there are significant benefits to hiring residential pest control professionals to do the job, including:
- Saving money, as trying different products until finding one that works, takes time and resources and allows the infestation to proliferate.
- Saving time, as your mosquito problem will be dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Safety, as some products can be hazardous if misused. With professional mosquito control, you know that your family will be safe from the misuse of chemicals.
Instead of wasting time and money to get rid of mosquitoes in your home and yard, consider reaching out to the professionals. Mosquitoes are dangerous pests that can affect your quality of life dramatically.
While a world without mosquitoes is not possible or even desirable for many reasons, you should still be able to enjoy a mosquito-free home and yard. If mosquitoes have plagued you on your Albany property, Absolute Pest Control can help you get rid of these unwanted pests.