Tackling A Bed Bug Infestation Before It Begins In Albany
August 30, 2022 - Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are minuscule pests that hide in the tiniest crevices and cracks within your home. While the bloodsucking insect does not spread diseases, the bites can result in itchy, reddish, inflamed skin. Reactions from the bed bug bites are not immediate, often taking a few days before symptoms show. You may need professional pest control in Albany to eliminate the nasty bed invaders from your home.
Sealing Holes & Cracks Can Help With Bed Bugs
Holes and cracks can be an easy entryway for bed bugs to enter your home. The tiny insects are flat, with oval-shaped bodies measuring approximately 3/16 inches. A crack as small as 1mm is big enough for a bed bug to pass through or hide. Sealing the gaps and cracks in your home is an excellent bed bug control measure, creating an additional barrier between you and the biting insects.
Cracks that can allow bed bugs to get into your home can be in many different areas, including:
- The window frame
- The door frame
- Electrical outlets
There are a few ways to seal those holes and crevices. If the crack is small enough, you can use your DIY skills and caulking gun to fill it in. For gaps in walls, use spray foam insulation to fill them tight. Spray foam typically expands more than necessary. You may need to trim the excesses when the foam dries.
What Causes Bed Bug Infestations?
Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs are not a result of a dirty environment. The nuisance pests are only interested in bloodmeals and don’t discriminate based on hygiene. So, what causes the bug infestations in your home?
- Bed bugs Are Easily Transported Via Furniture
Buying furniture or mattresses from second-hand stores or yard sales is a great way to save money. Unfortunately, you may end up trekking in the nasty bugs within the upholstered furniture. Avoiding second-hand furniture offers effective bed bug pest control in Albany.
- Your Houseguests Might Unwittingly Bring Bed Bugs Home With Them
Many homeowners discover bed bugs when friends or family come to stay over for a few days. Bed bugs can take advantage of unwitting hosts and hitch a ride from one home to another.
- Bed Bugs May Be Hiding In Your Luggage or Clothes
Bed bugs are perfect hitchhikers, and it’s not uncommon for people to unknowingly bring them home from a trip. They can easily fit into suitcases, clothing, bedding, and other items. Once home, they simply crawl out of the suitcase or item and find a comfortable place to hide in your bed.
- Bed Bugs Spread Fast In Infested Multi-Resident Apartments Or Living Spaces
Bed bugs can spread quickly from one room or apartment to the next. The wingless insects crawl at high speeds, covering over four feet per minute. If you live in an apartment complex or nursing home infested with bed bugs, the biters may eventually find a way to your home.
If you have an infestation problem on your hands, you need to act fast and contact local pest control for bed bugs.
Do I Need To Call An Exterminator For Help With Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are notoriously resilient and tough to get rid of. You may need to act fast to arrest the pest problem before it gets out of hand. It’s tempting to try to eliminate the infestation alone. Unfortunately, most methods that involve natural pest control for bed bugs are ineffective, with the insects returning within no time.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider hiring a professional exterminator.
- Fewer Pesticides: Overexposure to insecticides used in bed bug elimination can result in undesired effects such as skin irritations, sore throats, and migraines. Professional exterminators can recommend non-toxic measures such as heat or cold treatments and keep your family safe.
- Effective Treatments: You can lean on the experience and knowledge of pest control experts to eliminate the bugs from your home. The professionals can also establish preventative measures that ensure the bugs don’t return after treatment.
- Affordable And Less Time Consuming: Pest extermination is expensive and time-consuming. Using experts with the proper equipment and knowledge can hasten the bed bug eradication process.
Don’t put your children's and pets’ health at risk. Contact bed bug control services in Albany immediately if you spot the flat, brownish insects.
Professional Bed Bug Removal Services In Albany
Absolute Pest Control is a local bed bug extermination company in Albany that can get rid of the invasive pests from your home for good. Our experts will organize an extensive inspection to identify the scope of the infestation and recommend the best treatment option. Call us today to learn more about our bed bug removal services.