Simple Tips To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In Albany
November 30, 2022 - Bed Bugs
Today we’re talking about pest control in Albany and, specifically, how to get rid of bed bugs. As their name suggests, bed bugs often live in beds, and they feast on humans to stay alive. Our furry friends will sometimes do in a pinch, but bed bugs really do prefer to feed on human blood. Bed bugs are sometimes referred to as “hitchhikers” because they latch onto our clothes and luggage, following us home from public locations or vacation spots. In addition to our homes, bed bugs can invade schools and daycare centers, office buildings, hospitals, libraries, retail stores, and public transportation.
What do bed bugs look like?
- Small, flat, brown, oval-shaped
- Elongated, swollen, reddish-brown after feasting
- Six legs
- Two antennae
Adult bed bugs can be easily identified, especially in mattresses, but because of their size and lack of color, nymphs are often harder to detect.
Why Are Bed Bugs Drawn To Homes In Albany
Our homes are not only wonderful for people, but they provide an ideal residence for bed bugs as well. Bed bugs prefer to live near their food source, which, unfortunately, is our blood. Unlike fleas and ticks, they prefer human blood to that of our four-legged friends. Bed bugs are often found in the following hiding places:
- Upholstered furniture, carpeting, mattresses, headboards, box springs
- Electrical outlets and cracks in the floor and walls
- Behind pictures, mirrors, wallpaper
- Inside luggage
Bed bugs travel easily, so they can catch a ride home with us when we are traveling on vacation or commuting on public transportation. It’s important to inspect hotel rooms when we travel and wash clothes in hot water as soon as we return from vacation.
Signs You Could Be Dealing With A Bed Bug Infestation
Bed bug infestations happen more often when people travel during the summer and fall. These “hitchhikers” can travel long distances by latching onto clothing or into luggage, furniture, mattresses, and rugs. Wherever humans travel, bed bugs are apt to follow. Bed bug signs include the following:
- Evidence of bed bug eggs, eggshells, molt skins
- Small reddish-brown spots of fecal matter or dried blood on beds, upholstery, or walls
- Swollen, itchy bites on arms and legs, usually in patterns or small clusters
- Musty odors in certain areas of your home, especially bedrooms
Bed bugs don’t transmit diseases, but scratching at their bites can sometimes lead to an infection. Being bitten does not hurt, but the bites can cause red, itchy welts that can be treated with topical steroid creams.
Female bed bugs reproduce quickly and lay hundreds of eggs during the span of their life. They are capable of large infestations that are incredibly challenging to control. As soon as you suspect a problem, reach out to a bed bug control service in Albany.
Six Simple Tips To Keep Bed Bugs Out Of Your Home
In order to keep bed bugs away from you and your loved ones, use these bed bug control techniques for your home.
- When on vacation, inspect hotel rooms for bed bugs before bringing your personal belongings inside.
- Ensure luggage stays up off of the ground when traveling, and consider placing it in a large garbage bag before you return to your home.
- Wash and dry all clothing after returning from vacation, whether it’s been worn or not, on high heat, and be sure to vacuum your luggage.
- Avoid putting purses or bags on the ground while on public transportation or in public spaces.
- Inside your home, inspect bedding and mattresses for signs of bed bugs, wash sheets and blankets, and vacuum regularly.
- Avoid buying second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and upholstered furniture.
And lastly, to avoid future infestations, reach out to a bed bug control company near you for routine inspections.
Professional Bed Bug Services Is The Best Way
We recommend reaching out to a bed bug pest control service for your home because bed bugs can be so elusive. The majority of pest professionals report that bed bugs are one of the hardest pests to eradicate.
Reaching out to a professional pest control company is the best way to identify and get rid of these pests. Absolute Pest Control does a thorough inspection of your home and comes up with a treatment plan that will work best for you and your particular situation. We use specific methods and products that are safe and humane in order to eliminate pests in your home. Our technicians keep you informed throughout the process, provide you with information about our products, recommend steps to prevent pest infestations in the future, and provide routine follow-up visits as needed. If you’re looking for the best bed bug pest control near you, reach out to Absolute Pest Control in Albany today!