How Can I Tell If It's Mice In My Albany Home?
January 30, 2023 - Mice
A mouse is a sneaky rodent that can cause many issues if an infestation arises. First, a thorough inspection is needed if you want to find their nesting grounds. And if you are looking for the best way to get rid of rats and mice, hire experts in pest control in Albany by contacting Absolute Pest Control. In today's post, we will help you learn how to identify house mice, discuss their dangers, and discuss the best solution around a mice infestation.
What Do Mice Look Like?
A fully-grown mouse with its round body shape is approximately 5 ½ to 7-inches in length, including the tail. House mice have tiny dark eyes, large ears, greyish-black to brown fur, and a light-colored underbelly. Additionally, they have short, dark, broad feet and scaly tails.
Mice in Albany like to eat seeds and cereals, but they also devour nuts, insects, and fruits. When they move indoors, they like to eat almost every type of human food, but for the most part, they like to eat grain products.
How To Tell If It's Mice In Your Home
How can you tell the difference if you spot a rodent that looks like a rat or a mouse? Here are some indicators that will help you spot a mouse.
- Appearance: If you see a rodent with a hairless tail that extends to about 3-4-inches, with fur that is either black, brown, or grey, that is a clear indicator that you are dealing with a mouse.
- Droppings: Mouse droppings are small, pointed on two ends, and less than an ¼ inch.
- Urine Odor: Mice's urine smell like other rodents and usually has a strong musky odor. Large infestations make the smell more intense and easier to notice.
- Gnawed Holes: Mice dig clear-cut holes almost the same size as a dime.
- Rub and Gnaw Marks: When a mouse is trafficking its usual route, it will leave oily rub marks along the walls. So, if you see fresh rub marks, smears, and small scratch marks, that is a sign of mice.
- Runways: Some common rodent pathways are usually along interior walls, ledges, building foundations, conduits, fence rails, electrical wires, pipes, and tree branches.
- Nests: Mice will build indoor mice nests out of string, shredded paper, and other pliable materials.
- Noises: Rodents are nocturnal creatures. You will hear them making scratching sounds along floors and inside walls.
- Pet Behavior: Pets will act unusual when they smell or hear a rodent in the house. For example, dogs may start to bark, appear extremely alert, or start pawing spaces under stoves, refrigerators, or pieces of furniture.
Identifying a mouse correctly and understanding its behavior can help you pick the right rodent control solution. At Absolute Pest Control, we provide the best way to keep mice out of the house.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Mice In My House?
House mice appear cute to even have as pests, but they pose a real health hazard because their saliva and feces carry bacteria that can contaminate food sources. In addition, when the fecal matter dries up, it becomes airborne and can cause allergic reactions. Some of the diseases spread by house mice include Hantavirus and Salmonellosis. These pests are hard to prevent from entering your home, especially if there are holes in your wall. So, what is the best way to deal with if they carry pathogens and are hard to prevent on your own?
The Most Effective Rodent Control For Albany Homes
Keeping rodents like mice out of your property is a continuous process that requires pest elimination and adopting preventative measures after the house is mouse-free. You can get the best rodent control methods in your Albany home by contacting Absolute Pest Control today and getting trained rodent control service technicians who will inspect your house and provide effective solutions.
Mice are cute and cuddly rodents that are short and dark, with scaly tails and broad feet. If mice invade your Albany home, you should be able to spot their droppings, smell their strong urine odor, see gnawing marks, and change in pet behavior. And for you to respond appropriately, hire professionals from Absolute Pest Control and deal with the mouse infestation problem effectively. Reach out to us and learn why we are the team Albany residents contact for their total rodent control solutions.